Date(s) - 29/01/2020
16:00 - 17:30
Press Club Brussels Europe
“The Subnational Dimension of EU-China Relations”:
How Does EU-China Paradiplomacy Work?
The European Union’s relations with China are not limited to contact between EU institutions and the Chinese central authorities, or to bilateral relations between the Member States and the PRC. Cooperation between local authorities in EU countries and China is also an important dimension of their relations. In recent years, one could observe an increase in the significance of paradiplomacy—international relations of sub-state entities with the goal of achieving economic, cultural, and political benefits. The PISM report “The Subnational Dimension of EU-China Relations”, the result of a project conducted by the Faculty of International and Political Studies at the University of Łodz and funded by the Polish National Science Centre, presents the specificity of the relations with China at the subnational level with regard to the six largest EU countries in terms of population: Germany, France, Spain, Poland, Italy, and the UK. It also analyses selected case studies of European regions that have cooperated with Chinese partners.
29 January 2020 (Wednesday)
followed by a light dinner
The Press Club Brussels Europe
Rue Froissart 95, 1040 Brussels
- Jolanta Szymańska, Head of the European Union Programme, Polish Institute of International Affairs
Presentation of the Report
- Justyna Szczudlik, Head of the Asia-Pacific Programme, Polish Institute of International Affairs, Co-author of the Report
- Rudolf Niessler, Principal Adviser for International Relations, Directorate General for Regional and Urban Policy, European Commission
- Alice Ekman, Senior Analyst in Charge of Asia, European Union Institute for Security Studies, CSCAP-EU Coordinator
- Justyna Szczudlik, Head of Asia-Pacific Programme, Polish Institute of International Affairs, Co-author of the Report
Chair: Jolanta Szymańska, Head of the European Union Programme, Polish Institute of International Affairs
The event will be held in English.
Those wishing to attend are kindly requested to confirm by 24 January 2020 by email: firstname.lastname@example.org